One

“One” is a colourful children’s book written by Katherine Otoshi. It’s mainly about Blue, a character in the book, and how he gets picked on by Red. According to Red, “Red is hot. Blue is not.”, but even though Orange, Yellow, Green, and Purple don’t stand up to Red, even though they think that Blue is being treated unfairly, they do nothing. 1 decides to finally stand up to Red, and teaches the other colours that they can count too. Then, Yellow turned into 2, Green turned into 3, Purple into 4, Orange into 5, and Blue into 6. Afterwards, the numbers taught Red that if he’s nice, he can be 7, which let Red count too.I think that the theme of this story is friendship. I think that it is about  friendship because even though the story begins with Red bullying Blue, all of 1’s friends learn to stand up for themselves, which deepens their friendship. This book is teaching its readers that they shouldn’t be afraid of standing up to bullies, whether it’s for themselves or others. The great thing about this specific book is that this message is taught through colourful images. In my opinion, this book’s message is very much alike “Hey, Little Ant” because both of these books feature a bully. Both bullies pick on someone weaker than themselves, but Blue takes more time to realize that he needs to stand up for himself than the ant did. Anyways, I found this book to be very educational, and I would give it 4.5/5 stars.